[wisb] Canada Goose - Unusual Nest Selection

  • From: Captain Kirk <b.j.borealis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 15:09:02 -0500

Hello all.

I am a Minnesota resident and Wisconsin Ex. Pat., originally from Madison.

I have joined the list to share an experience which made me laugh.
My apologies if this has been reported previously.  There is a Goose
sitting on what appears to be an abandoned eagle nest on the shore of
Lake Pepin. The nest is in the flood plain of Lake Pepin between Bay
City and Maiden Rock.  I saw this bird Sunday 4/17 in the afternoon
and at dusk.

I do have some photos (taken through binoculars which are pretty
decent, but of course the silly goose was not exceptionally
cooperative.  (They are better than even the highest resolution
Sasquatch photos, though.)  I will see about posting them somewhere
other than Facebook.

I remain curious what kind of splash a gosling makes from 50 feet up
and also whether the nest will be above water or land by the time they
fledge.

Kirk Severson, Minnesota

--
"We had the sky up there, all speckled with stars, and we used to lay
on our backs and look up at them, and discuss about whether they was