[wisb] Madison to Oshkosh raptors today

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 21:48:47 -0600

I went up to Oshkosh this morning, taking a bit of a meander along the east
side of Horicon Marsh.  After seeing only a Red-tail each in Dane and Columbia
Counties, things picked up around Horicon, with seven more Red-tails in Dodge
Co.   On the north side of the marsh, just into Fond du Lac Co., I had the
first Kestrel and Rough-leg of the day.  Turned out to be the ONLY Rough-leg I
saw all day, but I did have several more Kestrels on the way up and back.

I took a circuitous route back to Madison in the late afternoon, going by way
of Green Lake and Marquette Cos.  Had more Kestrels and Red-tails in those
counties, and saw my first NORTHERN HARRIER of the year along Hwy 22 in
Marquette Co., almost due east of Observatory Hill.  Surprisingly, I had only
one more Red-tail in Columbia Co. and nothing in Dane Co., not even along Hwy
51 past the airport, although it was getting near sunset.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.