[wisb] Madison to Oshkosh raptors today

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 21:58:11 -0600

I took a very "backroads" route up to visit my mom in Oshkosh today.  Still
surprisingly few "field birds" seen, but there were good numbers of Crows and
Red-tails.  On Hwy 51 heading up from Madison, I had one of the local Red-tails
in its usual spot on a light pole by the Milwaukee St. overpass, and the local
pair up by the airport, along with my only Rough-leg of the day.  Had one more
Red-tail along 51 near Windsor.  In Columbia Co., I had four more Red-tails
(likely two pairs) and a couple of Bald Eagles (one adult, one probably
2nd-year) just north of Rio. Also had a murder of at least 30 Crows near Traut
and Drake Rds.  (By the way, I checked the stream crossing on Schliessman Rd.
north of Rio where Wilson's Snipe overwintered last year, but had only 8
Mallards there today.)  Had three more Red-tails and an unknown buteo (sitting
kind of out near the end of a branch, so could have been either RT or RL - too
far from the road for bins to help much) in Green Lake County.  Checked
roads/fields northeast of Markesan again for the Snowy Owl seen a while ago,
but no sign of it today.  Two more Red-tails and my only Kestrel of the day in
Winnebago County.

It would be interesting to see how many Red-tails a systematic search of one
south-central county would turn up...

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.