[wisb] Madison Birding

  • From: Rowan Stamm <rowan.stamm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 21:15:52 -0600

I had a nice little trip birding today with some good results. We actually
weren't birding at first but when a Sandhill Crane flew over we decided to give
it a try for a little while. Our first stop of the day was the Madison
Arboretum. We took a walk down to the spring where the Wigeon was reported and
I heard it right away but I couldn't locate it it must have been around the
corner where I couldn't see it. While I was looking for the Wigeon I realized I
was surrounded by Robins there were at least twelve. On the walk back I found a
Pileated Woodpecker at the top of a tree. When I got to the parking lot another
Sandhill Crane flew over. The biggest highlight of the day was along Wingra
Creek about 400 yards from the dam. Swimming amongst Canada Geese was a single
Blue Winged Teal it definitely wasn't afraid I walked right up to the water
within 20 feet of it.

Rowan Stamm, Verona Dane Co.