[wisb] Lecture: Duck Survival and Production in Wisconsin

  • From: Jeffrey Bahls <jbahls@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdnet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 18:10:13 -0600

January 13th Lecture Series at 7p.m at Horicon Marsh International Education
Center
Ron Gatti:  Duck Survival and Production in Wisconsin
Blue-winged teal were the most abundant breeding duck species in Wisconsin
until they began a sharp population decline in the 1970s, which continues
today.  The WDNR is trying to determine the cause of the decline by
estimating vital rates of survival and production via radio telemetry.   Is
the problem in low survival of eggs in nests, ducklings in broods, or adult
hens during the breeding season?  Through the study we will be testing our
management assumption that teal recruitment is limited by the abundance of
grasslands.  We will also be looking for correlations between teal vital
rates and habitat features that we can manage.
Jeff Bahls
Lowell Wi