[wisb] Lapham Peak raptor count with photos

  • From: Erik Bruhnke <birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 11:48:14 -0700

This morning I birdwatched/hawkcounted from the top of Lapham Peak, between
the hours of 7:30am and 11:00am. I only observed three migrating raptors
(one Broad-winged Hawk and two Red-tailed Hawk). That Broad-winged Hawk is
the first one that I've seen since working at Hawk Ridge last fall :)
Here is my total bird list from this morning (the 100-counted Cedar Waxwings
were the only songbirds actively migrating today while I was counting)

Location:     Kettle Moraine SF--Lapham Peak
Observation date:     8/20/10
Number of species:     33

Great Blue Heron     1
Turkey Vulture     5
Broad-winged Hawk    1
Red-tailed Hawk     4

Ring-billed Gull     1
Rock Pigeon     1
Mourning Dove     1
Chimney Swift     10
Ruby-throated Hummingbird     2
Red-bellied Woodpecker     2
Downy Woodpecker     5
Hairy Woodpecker     2
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)     3
Pileated Woodpecker     1
Eastern Wood-Pewee     6
Eastern Kingbird     8
Yellow-throated Vireo     1
Red-eyed Vireo     1
Blue Jay     2
American Crow     4
Purple Martin     15
Tree Swallow     2
Barn Swallow     1
Black-capped Chickadee     3
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher     2
Cedar Waxwing     100
Nashville Warbler     1
Blackburnian Warbler     1
Mourning Warbler     1
warbler sp.     3
Chipping Sparrow     2
Northern Cardinal     2
Indigo Bunting     2
House Finch     3
American Goldfinch     9

Northern Flicker
http://www.pbase.com/image/127651753

I'm relatively new to fall Warbler ID for some species. This one is
throwing me off. Any help is appreciated!
http://www.pbase.com/image/127651763
http://www.pbase.com/image/127651765

Red-bellied Woodpecker
http://www.pbase.com/image/127651755

Dragonfly
http://www.pbase.com/image/127651759

Butterfly
http://www.pbase.com/image/127651757

American Goldfinch
http://www.pbase.com/image/127651761

Juvenile Eastern Wood Pewee
http://www.pbase.com/image/127651751

Although it's small-scale, here is the hawkcounting data that I have
entered since last spring, at Lapham Peak.
https://www.hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=702

Good birding,
Erik Bruhnke
Waukesha, WI

NATURALLY AVIAN - Bird photography and guided bird hikes
www.pbase.com/birdfedr
birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx