[wisb] Buff-breasted sandpiper, Col. co.

  • From: "Steve Thiessen" <stevethiessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisb" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 13:20:43 -0500

  On Waagness road east of the farm houses there was an imm. Buff-breasted
sandpiper. It was there at 9:30 and still there at 11:50. It would disappear at
times and then fly in. Sometime it was close to the road and other time way to
the northedge of the flats. Other shorebirds 6 imm. Baird's, 12 least 5
semi-sand., 7 semi- plovers. pectorals and lesser yellowlegs. This area looks
so good that there should be higher numbers of birds. I wonder if pesticides
were used earlier in the year and there isn't the amount of food needed to hold
the birds.
 North of 60 on Harvey there was only 1 killdeer. On my way back there was a
Cooper's hawk hunting the edge.
 At the end of Harvey I saw a least bittern.
Steve Thiessen Stoughton Dane co.