[wisb] Lake Michigan Field Trip

  • From: "Ty Baumann" <TyBa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 07:25:59 -0600

Frigid temps, icy winds - but the sun was going to shine, "Let's go anyway".
The Bay
Area Bird Club headed to Port Washington to hopefully find the BLACK-LEGGED
KITTIWAKE
on Sat. Jan. 2nd.  After braving the wind chill for an hour scoping the harbor
finding CANVASBACKS, GR. SCAUP, RUDDY DUCKS, GADWALS, C. GOLDENEYES, plus
Greater-blacked & Glaucous Gulls - it was time to warm up, but we weren't
giving up.
Putting one car on the north and one on the south we waited and hoped for a
showing.
The Kittiwake didn't disappoint, appearing out of who knows where, there the
bird
was, soaring circles around the south gazebo area.  We called and the other
group
sped to see the show.  We all watched for 10-15 minutes before leaving.
Driving to Six Mile Road just north of Holy Cross we slowed for some Horned
Larks and
Rough-legged Hawks and there on the ridge to the east was a SNOWY OWL.  Just
north of
there was a huge flock of SNOW BUNTINGS. Across from the Harrington Beach State
Park
entrance we saw a lot of bird activity in the small woods and brush - just a
little
pishing and up pops the HARRIS'S SPARROW, staying near the road for all 11 of
us to
get a good look.  At Sheboygan we started on the Blue Harbor side of the river,
lots
of close C. Goldeneyes to scan through.  Very quickly the BARROW'S GOLDENEYE was
found - great close viewing for everyone.  Got a tip from Sheboygan birders of a
TUFTED TITMOUSE and went to look for it.  After scanning the feeders and bushes
the
Titmouse flew in directly above our heads.  That was fun!  On to North Point -
the
HARLEQUIN DUCK was found south of the parking lot diving in the strong waves
with
Buffleheads and Goldeneyes.
We saw many Rough-legged Hawks between Sheboygan and Harrington Beach, both
going
south on the highway early and back along the lakeshore.  We had Peregrine
Falcons in
Port Washington and Manitowoc.  The ferry harbor had lots of gulls but only 1
Greater-black-backed Gull.  A Bald Eagle scattered all the rest.  We ended with
47
species on this very cold day.  Congratulations to Brian Pierce for a 5 "lifer"
day.
Ida & Ty Baumann
Green Bay, WI
Brown County