[wisb] Hermit Thrush on Green Lake CBC

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 09:30:51 -0600

I was so tired, I forgot to post this earlier.  While doing the Green Lake CBC
on New Year's Eve, I found a Hermit Thrush on Pine Rd. north of Lake Puckaway.
This is a small, disjunct section of the southwest arc of the Green Lake circle
that actually requires me to drive out of my area, into Marquette Co. on County
C, and then wind around on town roads back into Green Lake Co. on the other
side of the Fox River.  Because of the "remote" nature of the section, I didn't
get there on the previous year's count due to lack of time, but decided on a
whim to visit it this year.   I was walking the north/south section of Pine Rd.
when a bird flew up from the side of the road.  I managed to get close enough
to finally get a good look at it and was delighted to see the spotted throat
and upper breast.  It eventually popped up a bit and showed me the reddish
tail, and then obligingly began to raise and lower the tail a few times.  Also
had 3 Am. Robins across the road.

Other highlights from my section were six Fox Sparrows (five in one spot by the
quarry south of County T a few miles east of Hwy 73,) a large flock of Snow
Buntings and a few Horned Larks that I managed to "herd" ahead of my car until
they were safely within the bottom of the circle on Roy Creek Rd. off Cty B
east of Hwy 73, and good numbers of Turkeys. The latter was my single high
count of any species with 156, including one flock of 88 on County T just west
of County W south of Princeton.  Odd to have Turkeys outnumber Juncos...

And yes, Kay, I will get some of this stuff into eBird!  ;-)

Happy New Year,

Peter Fissel
Madison WI