[wisb] Golden Eagle on Friendship CBC

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 21:50:36 -0600

As Jym reported, we had a frigid count day in Adams County today.  Layering was
definitely in fashion.  Since it was my third CBC in four days, I guess I was
acclimated to the cold.  Finches were tough to come by this year (unlike last
year) - we only managed Goldfinches and Purple Finches.

As Jim Otto and I were heading north out of Friendship on Hwy 13 to meet the
other counters for lunch shortly before noon, we had just passed Roche a Cri
State Park when Jim spotted an eagle over the road.  I noticed it was holding
its wings in a dihedral, so pulled over onto the shoulder to get a better look.
 Jim noticed it was solid dark, with no mottling, and I finally got a look at
the tawny head when it banked (the head and beak looked small proportionately,
also.)   That was the first adult Golden Eagle I'd seen in Wisconsin - the
others have been juveniles.

As with most of my CBCs this year, Blue Jays were widespread and plentiful, as
were Am. Crows.  Jim and I did see one Common Raven as we drove into Adams. We
had to work to find any Am. Tree Sparrows, however - finally got two at a
feeder late.  (I did see a sizeable flock on Kampen Rd. north of Goose Pond in
Columbia Co. around sunset on the way home.)

Peter Fissel
Bone-tired in
Madison, WI