[wisb] Owling

  • From: <tuttech@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 2:43:39 +0000

Hi,
This is to follow up on the discussions about owling.
A small group of Riveredge birders started at 5:15 in the morning of the first
of Jan.  We went to an area with extensive wet woodlands including White
Cedars.  After about 3 minutes of prompting we had a Saw-Whet whistle back at
us, shortly it began to sing and kept this up until we left.  At about 6 Am at
an area of mixed small woodlands, grasslands and rural yards we had a brief
response from a Long Ear...I think. At about 6:45 in an area of wet woodlands
which border a creek, near Saukville, we had two to three Screech Owls respond.
 All birds responded to play backs of their own species.  It was bright moon
light, almost calm and about 10 degrees.
Just for the record.
Tom  Uttech
Oz.Co.