[wisb] Lake Farm County Park, Dane County

  • From: "Charles Henrikson" <ckhenrikson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 13:26:27 -0500

What a beautiful day!
I started birding at Lake Farm at 8:00 and reluctantly left at 11:00.  It was a
sunny, clear day with no wind.  The temp started out at about 30 but was well
into the 40's by the end of my walk.

Highlights:

I saw 13 Fox Sparrows in 4 different places - an FOY bird for me.  Most were
foraging on the ground but one flew into a tree and sang its beautiful song
while basking in the sun.  I also saw 5 American Tree Sparrows and many (22)
singing Song Sparrows.

I always enjoy seeing the Brown Creepers - saw 3.

The north end of Lake Waubesa is open and there was an abundance of waterfowl.
I didn't get the best looks at them because I was looking into the rising sun
but I did get two FOY species:  1 Pied-billed Grebe and 2 Green-winged Teal.
The rest are in my eBird list below.

There were also 40 Ice Fisherman on the non-open part of Waubesa.  The ice
looked pretty dark to me.?!

On the way home I spotted:
 1.  Two V formations, one immediately behind the other, of Sandhill Cranes for
a total of 40 birds (over Nine Springs)
        and
  2.  One Meadowlark (another FOY bird) on East Cheryl Road.  It landed in a
recently planted tree and then flew into a adjacent prairie.  Its distinct
flight and white feathers on the lateral sides of the tail gave it away.  By
the time I got the car turned around, I couldn't find it again, but while
looking I heard a Killdeer.

My eBird report for Lake Farm County Park is appended below.

Good birding to all,

Chuck Henrikson
Dane County

Location:     Lake Farm County Park