[wisb] Kittiwake update

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 10:57:21 -0600

And here is the kittiwake update!  I spent almost 2 hours looking for the
kittiwake this morning.  The best areas are along Main St (Neenah) from the
library east to Riverside Park.  (Take the Main St exit going east from Hwy 41
in Neenah.)  There are 2-3,000 gulls in this area, with some eventually moving
out on Lake Winnebago, where it is impossible to id them, due to lighting and
distance.
I found the bird briefly shortly after I had arrived.  It was way out on the
ice and of course almost immediately all the gulls took flight.  I lost it and
could not relocate it for the next 1.5 hours!  Instead I found single adult
Lesser Black-backed and Great Black-backed Gulls, 2 Thayer's Gulls (1st yr),
and 2 Glaucous Gulls (ad and 2nd yr).  I eventually walked out on the bridge
between Main St and Theda Clark hospital.  The immature Black-legged Kittiwake
was sitting on a small amount of ice with a group of Herring Gulls behind the
library.

Anyone trying for this bird will certainly need patience and time as there are
many gulls to sort through, and they fly frequently, some times for no apparent
reason and then because of cruising eagles.   GOOD LUCK!

One other note that I forgot to post last Wed, as I had some medical "things"
the following days, is that I birded Arlington, Arena boat landing, Alvoca and
lower Mud Lake.  The only two things not reported by others were 25 Eurasian
Collared Doves at the farm on Bullen Rd by Arlington.  Also I saw a Winter Wren
by the creek at the Arena boat landing.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI