[wisb] Iowa & Grant Co. Golden Eagles today

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 20:05:30 -0600

I tagged along with Steve Thiessen and Nolan Pope on a Golden Eagle search in
the coulees south of the Wisconsin River today.  The weather turned out better
than had been forecast, with early clouds that gave way to mostly sunny, breezy
skies later on.

Our first stop was Blynn Rd., north of Hwy 14 between Mazomanie and Arena
(Blynn goes north off of 14 and then turns east, becoming Hudson Rd. after
crossing into Dane Co. from Iowa Co.)  It was very birdy, with quite a few DE
Juncos (curiously, nearly all standard male "Slate-colored") and several No.
Cardinals with a Fox Sparrow feeding along the road.  At the north end, where
Blynn turns east, we took the short dead-end road (shows as McKinney on Google
Maps) and checked the feeder at the house.  There were many Am. Goldfinches and
at least a half-dozen Purple Finches, with multiple woodpeckers (Downy, Hairy
and Red-bellied,) and other standard feeder birds.  We also took a look at the
marsh north of there, which is part of the Lower Wisconsin State Riverway, but
it was quiet.

Next stop was Fortier Rd. east of Arena, which overlooks the marsh south of the
boat landing (the same marsh as above, but farther west.)  Steve saw three
Rough-legs as Nolan and I were scanning the far tree line.  I spotted a
probable Shrike in a tree, but it disappeared before we could get a scope on
it.  The Boat Landing was essentially devoid of birds (and Daryl Tessens.)   We
had several more Red-tails, Bald Eagles and a Rough-leg or two as we headed
past Tower Hill St. Park and Taliesen.   We found our first Golden Eagle of the
day perched in a tree on Iowa County Hwy N, just south of Meadow Brook Rd.
(about 3 miles SE of Avoca.)  Steve spotted it, and Nolan and I jumped out of
the car in time to see it soar overhead - probably a second-year bird, with
well-defined white patches in the center of the underwings.  A Turkey was
clucking in the nearby woods, and we speculated that the eagle may have been
eyeing lunch.

Our second Golden of the day was seen on Sand Branch Rd., just off Grant Co.
Hwy G (about two miles SW of Muscoda - pronounced "muss'-ko-day", for those of
you who aren't from these parts...)  Steve spotted the bird soaring over a
bluff, but it dropped down before we could get a scope on it.  We drove down
Sand Branch, which rises to overlook the valley below, and spotted the eagle
working the valley.  To our amazement, it dropped down lower and lower over a
cornfield below us, behaving very much like a Harrier would, swooping low over
the standing corn.  It did this for several minutes, and we had outstanding
looks at the white wing patches and tail band.  Our best guess was that it was
after something in the standing corn (possibly another Turkey,) since it seemed
to want to land a couple of times.

On the day, we had the two Golden and about 25 Bald Eagles, perhaps as many
Red-tails, six or seven Rough-legs (including an incredibly striking black
dark-morph that we all took for a Crow as it perched in a tree, until we looked
closer and spotted the light-colored bill.  When it flew, the contrast between
the white primaries and tail bands and the otherwise jet-black body was
stunning,) and a couple of Kestrels.  Most surprising miss on the day was
probably Tufted Titmouse, despite all the good habitat we drove through.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.