[wisb] Injured gull follow-up

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 14:43:06 -0700 (PDT)

On April 7 I reported a gull with a broken right wing on the catwalk on the
south side of Milwaukee's Discovery World. It was frantically trying to find
its way into the water as people walked by.

Much to my surprise I found the gull again today, two weeks after my last
sighting! Its right wing now ends at the "wrist" joint, i.e., no wing beyond
the "wrist". It was being chased by some little kids who backed off when the
gull raised its wings and assumed a threatening posture.

The bird obviously cannot fly, but other than that it looks fat and healthy and
comfortable. I'm amazed it's survived this long, especially with the red and
gray foxes in this area. It must spend a lot of time in the water.

For the record, today this bird was just north of the bridge that leads into
the north end of Lakeshore State Park...

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee