[wisb] Red-necked AND Eared Grebes at Schoeneberg Marsh (Columbia Co.)

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 15:42:56 -0500

Well, things are finally starting to heat up around here!  Jim Otto just
called and said that not only are there now TWO pairs of Red-necked
Grebes at Schoeneberg Marsh, he and Chuck Roethke saw an Eared Grebe
there this afternoon.  Jim said the last he saw it (around 3:00 p.m., I
think he said,) it was northwest of the curve on Harvey Rd., towards the
far shore.  If I'm understanding him correctly, that would make the new
viewing platform off Priem Rd. a good place to scope from.  He did say
clouds are moving in and the light was getting worse - looking at the
radar, I'd say there's about a two-hour window before showers begin to
move in.

Peter Fissel,
Action Alert news anchor,
Madison, Dane Co.