[wisb] Horicon BB Sandpipers, Willet, RN Phals

  • From: tom prestby <jjprestby@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 20:19:32 -0500

I got to Horicon late in the afternoon and had an enjoyable few hours until
dusk. Started at Highway 49 at the historical marker and there wasn't one
shorebird on the south side of the road...ouch. The north side (which is
quickly becoming very good habitat) was much better though. A flock of Baird's
Sandpipers was working the mudflats and was hard to count but my estimate is
about 25 birds. Good numbers of Black-bellied Plovers continue, there were at
least 30 of them. A little further to the west, 3 juvenile Red-necked
Phalaropes were present not too far off the road.

Old Marsh road had significantly more shorebirds than 49. The broken-legged
Long-billed Dowitcher and Willet that the WSO trip found were still present.
The Willet received a scare from one of 4(!!) Peregrines working the area but
survived the chase and landed on the island far to the south with the ducks to
take some time and evaluate how thankful it was to be alive. Large numbers of
both yellowlegs and Pectoral Sandpipers were in the cattail stubble but I
couldn't pick out anything else interesting. It was nice to see 2 cygnets with
3 adult Trumpeter Swans, the first time I have seen evidence of them
successfully breeding on the marsh. I swung by the auto tour which was quiet
except for a family group of Common Gallinules hanging out at the end of the
boardwalk.

Checking Highway 49 at the Historical Marker again later, things had changed a
little. I was able to find one Buff-breasted Sandpiper on the north side of the
road picking through some snags on a grassy bar with Pecs and more Pectorals
and Leasts had moved in. This time there were a few birds at the edge of the
grass and mud on the south side as well...including 2 more Buff-breasteds.

Good numbers of Great Egrets and Great Blues continue but no other waders.

Tom Prestby
Milwaukee