[wisb] Crex Meadows & Wis. Point

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 20:10:57 -0500

I spent the last two days, primarily at Crex Meadows looking for the
White-tailed Kite.  I arrived at the spot around 1:30 on Monday (business
delayed any early departure).  About 2:00 I had a real distant view of it
perched in a tree south of Murphy's Rd.  I could not relocate it during the
rest of the afternoon, so after an early supper, I went back out to the area.
Two hours of searching was futile.  However after Anne (Eau Claire) and I had
talked and then separated the bird flew south across North Refuge Rd and across
Rice's Lake and Marsh.  It disappeared for several minutes in the shrubs
bordering the southwest corner.  It soon reappeared and headed towards the
south end of the marsh where it perched for 45 minutes.  It then hunted over
the marsh for sometime, putting on an excellent show, before returning to its
perch.  After the sun had set, it was still there.

This morning I decided to try for the kite again.  Around 6:10, and 38
degrees!!!!! with a low fog in places, I discovered the kite perched in a dead
tree along N. Refuge Rd just before it turns northeast.  It was so close one
almost did not need the binocs.  However I eventually decided to set up the
scope, at which time it then headed west and into the fog.  What a great view.
On a pond east of there a family of Trumpeter Swans swam in perfect
orchestration, single file, with the sun hitting them, and the fog around.
There were 7 young and 2 adults.

I arrived at Wisconsin Pt around 8:30.  It was rather quiet, except for
thousands of the standard gulls.  However a Western Grebe was very active close
to shore the entire time.  2 Bonaparte's Gulls and several Common and 1
Forster's Terns were also present.  There was an excellent warbler wave half
way down the point.  14 species were tallied.  Also present were 3 vireo
species, Red-br. Nuthatch and many waxwings.

On the way home, I stopped at the Douglas County WA off Cty M.  While birding
along the roads, a large black bear suddenly came loping across the road and
southward in the meadow.

If you try for the kite, cover the area bordered by N. Refuge Rd, Murphy's Rd,
and Buggert Rd.  Early to mid morning seems to be the best time, however it is
seen throughout the day and into the evening, but is more unpredictable.  Good
luck.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI