[wisb] Horicon Avocet still there this p.m.

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 21:27:34 -0500

I stopped at Horicon in the morning and in the afternoon today.  Both times,
the Avocet was far to the north of Hwy 49, west of the pumphouse.  It was still
there as of 4:30 p.m., but many of the other shorebirds were leaving, and the
radars are lit up tonight, so it's a coin flip as to whether it sticks
overnight.

This a.m., I stopped briefly at the Int'l Education Center on Hwy 28 on the
south end.  There were dozens of Tree Swallows swarming around, and several
non-House Sparrows in the tangle of grape vines, wild cucumber, etc. along the
fence near the Martin houses.   I saw two Lincoln's, at least eight
White-crowns (mix of adult and immature plumages,) and a couple of Songs.  I
also stopped along W. Point Rd. through the Bud Cook hiking area and tried
pishing, but all I scared up was one Common Yellowthroat.

There were quite a few shorebirds north of 49 in the morning.  In addition to
the Avocet, in that section were at least 50 Pectoral SP, several Greater and
one Lesser Yellowlegs, plus a whole mess of Gadwalls and Green-winged Teal.  A
couple of Am. Pipits were working the narrow wet area close to the road.  North
of the historical marker were more Pectorals, a Least, a few Semi-palm SPs and
one Semipalm. Plover, a Baird's, plus about a dozen sandpipers that have me
stumped.

They were the approximate size of female Pecs (male Pecs can be up to half
again as large,) and quite dull-plumaged - brown-gray and fairly unmarked
above, white below, with some dusky streaking on the upper breast.  What threw
me was the black legs and rather thick, tapered-tubular black bills.  Had I
seen them with no direct size comparison, I'd have passed them off as rather
large-appearing Semipalmated Sandpipers, but I saw some of them near the Least
SP, and they were close to twice its size.  I was thinking Dunlin, but the
bills were too short and straight.  They were much too dark for Sanderlings.  I
had the thought that they could be dull Baird's (the one I was sure of was
still fairly colorful and well-marked.)  I went through the Crossley "Shorebird
Guide", but nothing is jumping out at me.  Unfortunately, it had started
raining at that point, so I couldn't attempt digiscoping some photos.

Alas, they were gone when I returned in the late afternoon.  It was mostly Pecs
and Greater Yellowlegs by then, plus the Avocet.  Many of the shorebirds moved
from the north side to the south side east of the pumphouse, and then most took
off when the Peregrine buzzed them.

Peter Fissel
Madison WI