[wisb] Re: Herring to Ring-billed Gull ratio at this time of year?

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 17:22:32 -0800 (PST)

Someone suggested that I take a look at the Milwaukee Great Backyard Bird Count
(GBBC) totals from past years, which was an excellent suggestion. I did that,
but it wasn't much help.

The counts are all over the map. For example, in last year's Milwaukee GBBC,
Herrings outnumbered Ring-billeds 276-47. In 2007, Milwaukee Ring-billeds
outnumbered Herrings 451-92. Since 2000 (not counting 2011) Milwaukee
Ring-billeds have outnumbered Herrings 1,573-1,092 during the GBBC.

I guess there's no one-size-fits-all answer to my question for this time of
year...

Bernie Sloan