[wisb] Great Gray Juneau County Hopefully This Post Works

  • From: Rowan Stamm <rowan.stamm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 20:11:16 -0600

     Decided to make the trip to see the Great Gray today and after an hour of
sitting in the same place it finally flew from its roost in the pine trees into
the open field. At first it was out of photo range but then flew straight at us
and landed in a small patch of trees and sat while we took pics. Then someone
tossed a white mouse in the field and it flew in and ate it. I definitely
wasn't happy someone was feeding it but we did get some great pics. This bird
is amazing I am really surprised how unafraid of people it is. Also has anyone
heard of Great Gray Owls sitting in the open trying to jump on voles? We ended
up seeing 30 species today none were nearly as cool as the owl but there was a
couple of Snow Buntings near the dells and we saw like five Rough Legged Hawks.
All together an amazing day of birding. Here are some pics.
Copy and paste this: http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/bstamm/8517412944/

Rowan Stamm, Verona Dane Co.