[wisb] Great Backyard Bird Count

  • From: "Dan Jackson" <DanJackson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "WisBirdN" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 17:21:08 -0600

I hope that everyone tried to do a little bird watching for the Great
Backyard Bird Count.

I spent much of the weekend enjoying the chance to participate in the
Count.  On Saturday, my son and I did a circle road trip that included
stops along the road to the boat landing on the Wisconsin River just
north of Arena, a visit to Prairie Du Sac, a hike at Devil's Lake State
Park, and some birding in the Buena Vista Grasslands near Plover.

Highlights for the day were:

Great Horned Owl on nest (Richland County)

Cedar Waxwings, Robins, Red-Shouldered Hawks, Great Blue Heron, Purple
Finches, Pileated Woodpecker, Belted Kingfisher & Bald Eagles at the
Arena boat landing.

Black Ducks, Canada Geese, a Common Goldeneye, and 16 Bald Eagles at
Prairie Du Sac

2 Townsend's Solitaires, a Northern Shrike, and a Pileated Woodpecker at
Devil's Lake State Park

23 Rough-legged Hawks, 20+ Horned Larks, a Northern Harrier, and a few
Red-tailed Hawks in the Buena Vista Grasslands

1 Ruffed Grouse budding in the top of an aspen along Hwy 173 in Wood
County.

The weather on Sunday kept me home.  However, it also resulted in one of
the highest feeder counts that I have experienced at my house.  This
included 30!! Purple Finches, 6 House Finches, 48 American Gold Finches,
21 Northern Cardinals, 4 Downy, 2 Hairy, 2 Red-bellied and 1 Pileated
Woodpeckers, 8 Blue Jays, 6 Turkeys, 3 Tufted Titmice, 12 Chickadees, 4
White-breasted Nuthatches, 22 Dark-eyed Juncos, 3 Crows, a Sharp-shinned
Hawk, and a Red-tailed Hawk.  Wow!!

My favorite pictures for the weekend are included in a special album at:

http://www.pbase.com/dejackson/new_pictures

Good Birding,

Dan Jackson

Chaseburg, Vernon County, Wisconsin (Near La Crosse)

www.pbase.com/dejackson