[wisb] Re: Fwd: [eBird Alert] ABA Rarities

  • From: "Owen Boyle" <odboyle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Thomas Schaefer" <schaefertrees@xxxxxxxxx>, "wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:10:00 -0600

Hi Tom,

The eBird rare bird alerts are only generated for those species that do
not regularly occur in the ABA Checklist Area (ABA checklist codes of 3,
4, or 5).  Though they are spectacularly rare sightings here in WI, all
of the species that have shown up here as vagrants occur regularly
somewhere in the ABA Checklist area (ABA checklist codes of 1 or 2) and
so don't show up in the eBird ABA Rarities alerts.  Note that this is a
different process than is used for the alerts you receive if you signed
up for the eBird "Needs Alert."  For those you receive reports of
species that you haven't yet seen in the region for which you sign up
(e.g. state, county, city, town).  I know the Needs Alerts have really
helped me compete in the Wisconsin Green Birding Challenge! (rats, I
just gave away my secret)

Here's some more information on eBird alerts and ABA checklist codes:

eBird rare bird alerts
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/subscribe-to-ebird-alerts

ABA codes and eBird
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/about/aba-codes-and-ebird