[wisb] Re: eBird's ABA Rarities Alert

  • From: Schroeder Carl <Carl.Schroeder@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 18:26:18 +0000

Responding to Tom's question "Why didn't any of our vagrants show up on this
list?". eBird's ABA Area Alert is for rarities in the ABA area, that is,
basically North America excluding Mexico.  Our Wisconsin vagrants are all seen
with regularity, many commonly, in other parts of N.A.  So they are not rare in
the ABA area. There is no "Wisconsin rarities" alert available from eBird.
There are a lot of improvements that eBird could make to their alert feature.
One that I've communicated with the eBird staff about is an ABA Area Life List
Alert.  They told me that this search of the database requires a lot of
computing power which their infrastructure doesn't yet support. Improvements to
the Alert feature are on their list for future upgrades but when they cannot
yet say.

Carl Schroeder
School Hill, Manitowoc Co.