[wisb] Franklin Gulls and Pine Warblers in Buffalo Co

  • From: john romano <cajunbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 19:16:08 -0700 (PDT)

I decided to explore Buffalo Co this Saturday and Sunday. On sunday morning
there were 3 Pine Warblers singing at Merrick State Park - one was especially
close and cooperative and if I had not forgot to bring the new digital camera I
revently purchased, I might have actually got a decent photo - but alas that
first good bird photo will have to wait.

This afternoon near the Marshland Entrance to Trempealeau WLA at 2 PM I was
wrapping it up after walking out to Ennie Point ( alas that is underwater at
the end) when I saw a small black headed gull and I thought - finally a
Bonaparte's Gull over here - got the bins on it and wow - that dark mantel with
the dark wing tips separated by the white bar etc - it flew east and joined 5
others and they flew back right over my head out toward the river. That was so
unexpected.  Seem to be lots of Franklin's showing up this year.

Not much else to report - good shorebird habitat north of Hwy 88 in the Whitman
Dam area - a recap of others things seem include:

12 duck species
Horned Grebe
White Pelicans -  over 100
Great Egrets in good numbers
Red-shouldered Hawk
Yellowlegs (both)
Snipe
Am Woodcock
Bonapartes gull  ( these in Trempealeau Co )
Franklin's Gull
Red-headed Woodpecker in 2 places
YB Sapsucker -  Lots
Titmice
Ruby-Crown Kinglet
Hermit  Thrush
Brown Thrasher
Yellow-rumped Warbler - hundreds
Pine Warbler  ( only 2 warbler species )
Eastern Towee
White-throated  Sparrow
Rusty Blackbirds

John Romano