[wisb] Phalarope and Plover at Nine Springs

  • From: JAMES F SCHWARZ <jfschwar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 21:49:59 -0500

I stopped at Nine Springs late this afternoon.
There was a WILSON'S PHALAROPE in the first pond. It was acting like a
shorebird feeding on a muddy beach on the west side.

There was a SEMIPALMATED PLOVER on a narrow strip of land in the second pond.

The only other shorebirds were the Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs and the
Pectoral Sandpiper.

I stayed until after sunset in order to check on the AMERICAN WOODCOCK. At
about 8:15 one began peenting in the cattails east of the boardwalk. It
remained in the cattails to do it's aerial display, although in past years I
have only seen them display along the paths south of the parking lot.

A mix of swallows continue to fly about the area. And a variety of blackbirds
continue to roost at Nine Springs after about 7 o'clock.

That is it for now.

Jim Schwarz
Madison, Dane Co