[wisb] Re: Finch images Waukesha Co 2 15 2012

  • From: Nancy Richmond <polarpastor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jimedlhuber@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 21:17:31 -0600

HI Jim -
Definitely House Finch - easiest feature here is brown streaks on the
flanks.
When Purple Finches have streaks on their flanks they are red.
The neutral color on house finches where not white or red has brown tones -
colder gray tones on Purple. You can see the brown tones on the face very
well in your first picture.
Your photo also shows the tail to be slightly notched - it's deeply notched
on Purples.
Face pattern on Purple is much more distinct than on House - as per
previous discussion
Nancy Richmond
Polar -Langlade Co.