[wisb] Re: Field Guides...

  • From: "Wayne & Susie" <wsrohde@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 21:44:07 -0500

I haven't seen a whole lot of discussion (though I may have missed it) re:
some of the newer field guides.

Crossley seems to have stirred up a bit of a discussion, though his guide is
clearly of a different sort.  (And not exactly pocketable!)

But I was unaware until fairly recently of a couple of newer photo guides -
one by Donald & Llillian Stokes, and another by Brian Small (Princeton
series).

After Kenn Kaufman came out with his digital photo guide quite a few years
ago, both the Smithsonian and National Wildlife Federation guides appeared,
and I thought all three were much better (for a variety of reasons) than the
original Audubon guides (the series with color plates in one section and
text in the other).  Among these three, I prefer Kaufman and Smithsonian,
for different reasons.

I still personally prefer illustrated guides --esp. the Geo guide and
Sibley-- for ID purposes.  Those two are the cream of the crop in my
opinion.  But does anyone have any thoughts on the relative merits of the
five newer photo guides (Kaufman, Smithsonian, NWF, Princeton and Stokes)?
Any thoughts on how the newest ones (Princeton and Stokes) match up to the
other three (Kaufman, Smithsonian and NWF)?

(One thing I do like about the newest Stokes guide is that there's generally
a handful of photos for each species.  Much, much better than the original
Stokes.)

Good birding everyone!  May is coming!!!

Wayne Rohde
Village of Walworth - Walworth County, WI