[wisb] FW: Invitation to participate in squirrel study

  • From: "Dan Jackson" <DanJackson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "WisBirdN" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 14:45:54 -0600

I received a request yesterday from an honors student at Trent University who
is doing a study on the regional distribution of color morphs of Eastern Gray
Squirrels.  She asked me, as a leader of a local Audubon chapter, to ask the
members of my chapter if they would fill out a brief survey on the coloration
of the Eastern Gray Squirrels that are seen around our community and
neighborhoods.
Given that the members of this list are interested in nature, I asked Tom Sykes
and the teacher overseeing the survey if it would also be okay to share this
request with the members of WisBirdN.  They both said it was fine and the
teacher was excited about reaching a group of birders spread throughout the
state of Wisconsin.

This link will display a pdf version of this very brief survey:

http://www.couleeaudubon.org/Color Survey of Eastern Grey Squirrels.pdf

This is the Text part of the questionnaire:

Town/City:

State:

1. What color of these squirrels do you see in your community and vicinity?
a. All gray (100%)
b. Mostly gray (75% to 99%)
c. Slightly more gray than black (50% to 74%)
d. Slightly more black than gray (50% to 74%)
e. Mostly black (75% to 99%)
f. All black (100%)

2. How long have you been observing squirrels in your area?
a. Less than 5 years
b. 5 to 10 years
c. 10 to 20 years
d. 20 to 30 years
e. More than 30 years

3. During this time, have you noticed a change in the color of these squirrels?
a. Yes
b. No
c. I’m not sure

4. If you answered ‘yes’ to Question #3, what change have you noticed?
a. There has been an increase in the proportion of gray squirrels
b. There has been an increase in the proportion of black squirrels

If you are willing to help, you can e-mail your answers to:

jenniferkong@xxxxxxxxx

Thanks in advance for helping her out!!

Dan Jackson
Chaseburg, Vernon County, Wisconsin (near La Crosse)
www.pbase.com/dejackson
community.webshots.com/user/danielejackson