[wisb] eagle count from Sauk to Spring Green

  • From: "Steve Thiessen" <stevethiessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisb" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 15:11:39 -0600

 Nolan Pope and I went along with Sergej Postupalsky on his annual Eagle count.
We started at the Sauk Prairie dam and worked our way to Spring Green.
At the dam we had 4 eagles, 3 bluebirds and lots of common mergansers. Added 1
eagle at the VFW boat landing. 1 more at the eagle observation deck. 2 more at
A. Duerlith park. 0 by the RR bridge. 1 going straight along the river on the
dead end, that ends up at the sewage plant. There is a good feeder down this
road and we saw 2 titmice there.
 County Y going towards Mazo had 16 eagles and that was the last Bald Eagles we
saw  going towards Spring Green. We picked one more up on the way back.
 Going west from the Arena boat landing we spotted a distant eagle soaring
north over the river. We put the scope on it and it turned out to be an adult
Golden Eagle. It ended up flying south so it was a 2 county bird.( Sauk and
Iowa)
 Going back to Sauk on Hy 60, north of the river, we spotted a very dark eagle
which disappeared into the hills. Up by Cassel road we spotted another to the
north and  we followed it north on Cassel. The eagle passed above us at around
40 yards. A quick, but  great view of a 1st year Golden Eagle. It headed
towards the corner of B and Hy 60 and we lost it.
 Going back to Sauk on River Road we came across around 60 larks and 12
longspurs.
Steve Thiessen Stoughton Dane co.