[wisb] Re: FEMALE Barrow's Goldeneye--Picnic Point, Lake Mendota, Dane Co.

  • From: "Bob Bucci" <rbucci@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <agstutz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 16:32:00 -0600

I was at Picnic Point at about 1:00 this afternoon. The Scaup, Ruddy Duck,
Merganser and all but one of the Geese were gone. I also found the female
Goldeneye which I too concluded was a Barrow's. The beak was all
orange-yellow with a dark nail. The body was darker overall and the head
shape was different. All the Goldeneye were diving often but this bird was
easy to distinguish from the other females when it re-appeared.

Bob Bucci
Madison, Dane