[wisb] Dane, Iowa and Sauk Counties today

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 16:09:17 -0500

As Chris West mentioned, Steve Thiessen, Nolan Pope and I were out and about
west of Madison today.  Our first stop was Thomson Prairie, on County F south
of Blue Mounds (this is on the Dane/Iowa Co. line.)  We had what was likely two
pairs of Upland Sandpipers there - looking at Google Maps, I'd say these were
just barely in Dane County.  There were Eastern Meadowlarks everywhere, but
curiously, the only sparrows were Field and Song.  Normally, I'd expect to hear
lots of Savannahs and Grasshopper (might be a bit early for the latter.)

Next stop was Gov. Dodge St. Park in Iowa Co.  We hiked the Stephens Falls
trail, where we found our target - a pair of Louisiana Waterthrushes.  The male
was in fine voice.  Also had an intriguing trill down in the canyon that I
finally decided was a Chipping Sparrow when I realized it was singing from up
in a big pine.  Curiosly, no other warblers there.  We met Chris up at Bakken's
Pond, where there were four species of swallows (no Bank) and a calling Sora.
We followed Chris over to Pearl Rd. for the Willet (Steve was getting antsy
that it would leave before we got there.)  Strange that there were so few
shorebirds there.  After seeing the blackbird flock with our FOY Brewer's at
Peck Rd., Chris headed for home while we went to the Spring Green Preserve.  We
missed the Grasshopper Sparrows and Mockingbird, but did see a pair of Lark
Sparrows by the western edge.  A Brown Thrasher was singing from the base of
the bluff.  Also got my lifer Olympia Marble butterfly.

Arena Boat Landing was full of Yellow-rumps and singing Ruby-crowned Kinglets,
plus an actively-drumming Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.  Steve and I caught a
glimpse of what was likely a Red-shouldered Hawk.  (We'd had one earlier south
of Spring Green on the Sauk County side of the Wisconsin River.)  We checked
just about every soaring raptor we saw, hoping for a Swainson's Hawk, but were
disappointed.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.