[wisb] Crex Meadows area birding (Burnett)

  • From: "John Feith" <feith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 09:31:57 -0500

I spent 2 days birding with Lawrence D. at Crex Meadows and the northern
part of Burnett County. Here is a list of highlights...

The most common warbler was GOLDEN-WINGED (it was also very common here in
Madison). Many CAPE MAYS can be heard around forest roads. Best warbler was
a breeding-territory CONNECTICUT WARBLER singing high on a pine tree on
Springbrook Trail near Dogtown Rd. It sang for at least 30 minutes with only
1 break.

SHARP-TAILED GROUSE - heard at 2 spots in Crex (near Main Dike/E Rufuge & at
the Overlook) and at Namekagon Barrens. None actually seen...I am told that
no leks were found in Crex this year and now it is past their dancing
season.

LEAST BITTERN - 2 singing West of the Overlook

AMERICAN BITTERN - several in the mornings. We didn't spend much time
looking for YELLOW RAIL or SHARP-TAILED SPARROWS and didn't hear any.

TRUMPETER SWAN - many locations in Crex

BLACK-TERNS, YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD - Phantom Lake road

LeCONTE's SPARROW - 3 different sedge meadows around Crex

VESPER SPARROWS - very common at Namekagon Barrens.

LINCOLN SPARROW - at a nice Spruce Bog on Namekagon Trail, before the river.

WESTERN MEADOWLARK - heard at Namekagon Barrens

UPLAND SANDPIPER - 3 singing at once in Namekagon Barrens

NIGHTHAWKS & WHIPPORWILLS also very common at Namekagon, along with WOODCOCK
near wetter areas.

WARBLERS...17 species. somehow we didn't see/hear Pine or Blackburnian...but
most of the morning was not spent in forests.
YELLOW, C. YELLOWTHROAT, OVENBIRD (tons of them), REDSTART, CHESTNUT-SIDED,
MAGNOLIA, BLUE-WINGED (only 1), GOLDEN-WINGED (over 20), BLACK&WHITE,
CAPE-MAY (around 7), BLACK-THROATED GREEN (only 1!), NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE
(very few), YELLOW-RUMPED (only 1), PALM , MOURNING & CANADA (single
call...maybe wishful thinking).

KINGBIRDS & TOWHEES are EVERYWHERE in the area. No shorebirds found.

John Feith
Madison

Bird Song Ear Training Guide CD
www.caculo.com