[wisb] New Text message RBA system for WI

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 13:03:19 -0500

Hi all,
Following the model of New Jersey, New York, Illinois and Arizona and a few
other states, I have set up a text alert RBA system for Wisconsin using the
Textmarks service.  Please do not use this system for questions, discussions,
idle chatter or anything not related to the sighting of a WI rare bird.  That
is why we already have the Wisbirdnet email listserve.
The system is designed to provide instant updates if someone finds a rare bird,
re-finds a rare bird or wants to give an update on the status of a rare bird.
It is for RBA (rare bird alert) purposes only!  Some of us pay for receiving
text messages as well as sending and too many messages gets expensive and
needlessly fills our inboxes. I have detailed more below.

Please read the following instructions thoroughly as they contain pertinent
information for users.

WISBIRDN is a text message system for in-the-field reporting of the presence
(or sometimes absence) of unusual birds or ornithological phenomenon throughout
the state of Wisconsin. There is no charge for using the system but your nomal
text message rates apply.
System requirements:  A cellular phone with a text message plan as a part of
provided service. In case you don't currently have such a plan, limited text
messaging plans can be added to most cell phone contracts for as little as $5
month (ATT-May 2010) and can be added for a limited period if so desired.
Why text messages?  Text messages will be distributed within a few seconds to
every cell phone registered on the WISBIRDN system.  They require little
bandwidth and can come and go when voice or data transfers can't.   Most cell
phones with text capabilities will as well try repeatedly and automatically to
send/receive messages in the event the signal is initially too weak. Text
messages are economical as they do not require an expensive data plan.
How to join?  Two ways:  Text WISBIRDN to 41411.  Case doesn't matter. You will
receive text confirmation that you are registered on the WISBIRDN system. You
are then able to send text messages over the WISBIRDN system.  You can join as
well at www. textmarks.com/wisbirdn; be sure to enter your cell phone where
they request a phone number.
Sending text messages:  All messages should be sent by text to 41411. The first
message you send must begin with WISBIRDN (so the system knows which collection
of people should receive it) followed by a space.  For example "WISBIRDN
Glaucous-winged Gull at Mke CGI" Once you have sent your first message, you do
not need to repeat the initial WISBIRDN You can simply use a dot "." followed
by a space. This tells the system to send the message to the same hub as was
used previously.  As long as you're on only one Textmarks system, your message
will be delivered to WISBIRDN. So our message above would look like ".
Glaucous-winged Gull at...."  If you are on multiple Textmarks systems, you
will need to begin each message with WISBIRDN and a space.
How do I know my message was distributed:  Each sender as a registered member
of the WISBIRDN system should get a copy of his/her own message as part of the
normal distribution.
Leaving WISBIRDN:  Send the text message "leave WISBIRDN"  to 41411 You will
receive confirmation of your departure.  If and when you want to return, simply
text "WISBIRDN" to 41411.
What sort of messages can I send:  Since some people may be paying for each
text message they send and/or receive, we request that messages on this system
be immediately useful.  A good rule of thumb is, "Might this message cause
people to alter what they're now doing?"  Each message should carry your name,
preferable entered automatically (see below) but if not then added at the end
of your message.  The usual rules of decorum of course apply.
If you don't know if the species you're observing is worth reporting via
WISBIRDN, one rule of thumb is if it is a review species, very early, very
late, or listed here: http://wsobirds.org/wso_rare_birds_test2.html or here:
http://wsobirds.org/wso_midcontinent_birds_test6.html  it is a good indication
that it is worth posting.
Why is the system free?  This system is free because each message carries a
line of advertising at the bottom. These have been non-intrusive but they do
take up space leaving only about 100 character per message for bird
information. If you abbreviate, as you surely will, make sure your
abbreviations are unambiguous.
Who runs the system:  At present, me. Chris West.  Textmarks gives the manager
the tools to delete or block subscribers in case of willful abuse.
Important steps after you join:  You should change your user name from the
system generated series of letters and numbers to your actual name.  This will
remove the need to enter your name with each text message.  You can do this by
going to Textmarks.com. Sign in with the cell phone number you used to register
as your user name.  You will not know your password so click on the link that
says, more or less, I have forgotten my password.  You will be sent a new
password via text message.  Sign in again using your cellphone number and new
password. Once in, click on the "Profile" tab at the upper right.  Alter your
profile so the "User Name" is now your real name. This name will now
automatically appear at the beginning of each message you send.

Miscellaneous information: Do not assume that a text to WISBIRDN will go to the
email listserve as well. Also, please do not assume that everyone is subscribed
to the text alert system. Please also post your sighting to Wisbirdnet email
listserve as soon as possible. This text alert system is not designed to
replace Wisbirdnet. It is only to expedite the distribution of Rare bird
sightings.

Thanks for joining if you choose to subscribe! I hope that this system will
help word of a rare bird get out faster and to more people and prevent people
missing a good bird if they are in the area.

If you have questions or comments you are welcome to reply to this email or
email me at: Chris.W.birder@xxxxxxxxx

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County

http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)