[wisb] Re: Challenging Bird ID image : Answer, Discussion

  • From: "Dar Tiede" <crepuscular@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 17:55:39 -0600

Thanks to Joe for posting that interesting photo ID challenge and following
up with the summary.  I had seen some of the discussion elsewhere and was
also fooled into thinking it was lark-pipit-sparrow sized.  A good lesson
that photos can be deceiving and that we need to consider and eliminate the
common (likely) explanations before jumping to the rarity.  Keeping in mind
Occam's Razor that the simplest explanation tends to be the best one.
Western meadowlark - one of the most common birds in South Dakota!  Who
would have thunk it!
Dar

Dar Tiede
Appleton