[wisb] Re: Challenging Bird ID image : Answer, Discussion

  • From: Schaufenbuel <schaufenbuel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 17:10:56 -0600

Nine responses to my WI-bird post were forwarded as to the bird's ID.

Again, here is the image originally posted and identified on the
Frontiers of Identification site:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jmpawli88/LarkSp#5393739187115539570

No doubt a lone, average image of a very interesting-looking bird taken
this past August in S. Dakota.  This image fooled people at first.
Impetus for posting the image was the seeming familiarity, yet apparent
oddity, of what at first look the image presents.

Here are the first response of the nine (ten actually as I include my
own) as to the bird's ID:

American Pipit 3
American Pipit X Horned Lark Hybrid  1
Northern Wheatear 1
Skylark 1
(European Thrush) Redwing 1
Horned Lark 2
Wood Lark 1  (me)

No responder took to a deep analysis of the bird and what the image
contained.   My first reaction was that of a Woodlark from past
impressions from illustrations I had seen in European guides.  In my
first take the image seemed to be a real rarity -- Woodlark! -- but I
was wrong along with birders from Europe.

My failing was not seeing what was evident once I hit the enlarge icon.

First, the time and location of the bird:   Central South Dakota
prairies 8/8/09

Next look at the orientation of the bird.  I was fooled by thinking the
bird is small and in side profile.  Actually, the bird has its body
angled away from the objective lens with the head slightly more aligned
with a side profile as seen by the viewer.  The orientation can be
supported by looking at the bird's back and side striping.
Misinterpreting body orientation makes it seem like a sparrow in body
shape and size.  And with a Lark-like bill and seeming sparrow-like
size, things really start to get interesting... though wrongly so.

Pipits and larks may largely be eliminated by body shape.  This is a
short-tailed, short-legged chunky bird and the structure is obvious
regardless the angle.

Size estimations may be established by checking the bird's dimensions
against the fencing/post size in the image.  Either that bird is larger
than an average sparrow or in S. Dakota ranchers use some under-sized
fence poles.  Next look at the that wide striking eyebrow stripe.  Are
there any common open country North American birds that have this
feature?  Pipits really don't.  Horned Larks juvenile may but the facial
pattern and back don't match.

I had one response that the bird may be a hybrid and as to parentage
mentioned Western Meadowlark.  Enlarging the image you will see a
yellowish breast edging left!  The light eyebrow,  heavy side streaking,
pink legs, stocky shape and size all suddenly make sense!  ID : Western
Meadowlark   Even the light-colored, slight bill fits as this appears to
be a young Meadowlark -- not a Woodlark.

Thoroughly, thoughtfully and with a sense of creatively the common may
be found in images where at first look birders may be pull one to see
the less likely.

Joe Schaufenbuel
Stevens Point,
Portage Co., WI