[wisb] Black-legged Kittiwake - yes

  • From: Brian Doverspike <briandoverspike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 20:01:20 -0600

Becky and I had a chance to do some Lake Michigan birding today.  We had some
time restraints so we limited ourselves to Port Washington, Sheboygan and areas
between.  We started in Sheboygan and did as well as could be expected for the
two of us.  We started at North Point and found the usual diving ducks and a
few Ring-billed Gulls.  Moving to the Blue Harbor Convention Center area, Becky
was able to pick out the Barrow's Goldeneye amongst about a hundred Commons.
We also found several Great Black-backed Gulls and one Glaucous Gull.  We
returned to North Point and immediately found the Harlequin Duck right in front
of the small parking area.  With pretty much all our target birds for this area
found we moved on.  Six Mile Road in southern Sheboygan County and northern
Ozaukee County was pretty quiet.  All we found were a couple of American
Kestrels, Wild Turkeys, and four Horned Larks.   Next came Lake Church where we
missed the Harris's Sparrow.  We were there less than half an hour and during
the middle of the day so who knows if it has moved on.  Our last stop was Port
Washington.  I was a little nervous when the Kittiwake did not greet us at the
car like it seems to have done for many others.  We were on the north end by
the restaurant and after walking out on the break wall Becky was able to find
it toward the south end.  A lifer for us!  All in all it was very quiet there.
Few species of ducks and only Ring-billed Gulls.  We had a great time today.
Thanks Daryl and Peter for the advice and directions!

Brian Doverspike and Becky Anderson

Pardeeville, Columbia County