[wisb] Black Scoter, others 4-12 /Milwaukee County

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 12:19:15 -0500

Just before 11:00 A.M. there was an adult male Black Scoter at lower Lake
Park just south of the Linnwood Water Treatment Plant.
Hopefully, this beautiful bird will stick around for others to see in
between rain showers. It was close enough to view with binoculars.

Also from this spot I saw my FOY Barn Swallow flying south (smart bird), and
5 White-winged Scoters (scope required). All along the lake there are rafts
of puddle ducks that can be identified with a good scope.

Earlier, at McKinley Marina, Jym Mooney showed me the first Nelson's Gull
(hybrid Herring Gull X Glaucous Gull) I have ever seen. It looked very much
like a Glaucous-winged Gull with pale gray wingtips and a dark pink orbital
ring, but the iris was very much Herring Gull (bright yellow) and the large
size was like Glaucous Gull. We also saw a classic Thayer's Gull, and
another gull with a brown eye, less head streaking and gray wingtips with
large white apical spots. I had a good look at the wingtip pattern when it
flew, and it most resembled the pattern depicted in "Gulls of the Americas"
as a possible hybrid Thayer's X Kumlien's Gull (minimum dark areas in the
wingtip). Since Thayer's is a controversial species, some people might call
it a Kumlien's Gull. I have to call it an "I don't know!"

There was nothing new at Veteran's Park. Two of the Black-crowned
Night-Herons were perched in a tree on the east side of the lagoon, and on
the west side, the third was high in a weeping willow. Other migrants were
Hermit Thrushes, Golden-crowned Kinglets, and a Winter Wren.

Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County