[wisb] Black Phoebe?

  • From: Schaufenbuel <schaufenbuel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 21:45:39 -0500

The Wisconsin eBird portal contains a recent image of a passerine in
flight and asks if the image is of a Black Phoebe (BLPH):
http://ebird.org/content/wi

It isn't a Black Phoebe by my experience noting four observable points:

1. It has a discernible diffuse throat area-would be dark/uniform in BLPH
2. All phoebes have rounded tail feathers, this bird has somewhat
pointed retrices.
3. Under tail is diffuse and should be white in BLPH
4. Lacks contrast between dark axillaries and light under wing coverts.

Bluebirds are eliminated by lack of translucent bar at base of flight
feathers.

I don't think there is much risk of saying this is an Olive-sided
Flycatcher.

--
Joe Schaufenbuel
Stevens Point