[wisb] Western types of Red Crossbills in Wisconsin?

  • From: Schaufenbuel <schaufenbuel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 22:44:25 -0500

Ebird shows July and August Red Crossbill observations in eastern Kansas
and Central Nebraska.  And though not shown on eBird, especially Iowa
has noted an eastward progression of Red Crossbills starting in north
and western Iowa and popping up in several sites there moving
more-or-less eastward since July.  Though it would seem likely that our
big Red Crossbill swarm in SW WI is of our Eastern types, I am curious
what the experts on Red Crossbills voice types say.

--
Joe Schaufenbuel
Stevens Point