[wisb] Birdwatching in Florida

  • From: "Daryl & Sherry Christensen" <gr8fish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbird" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 17:32:24 -0600

Just returned from nine days in Florida and enjoyed a few days of birdwatching
at area parks around Bradenton, Sarasota, Orlando and mostly at Tierra Verde in
between fishing trips and spending time with grandchildren. Saw just under 100
species during the trip and 8 lifers.
Fort De Soto proved to be one of the best birding areas and I went there for a
few hours three straight days. Shell Island Preserve was packed with shorebirds
and we got great looks from the fishing boat I was in.
Birdwatching Highlights for me included:
A flock of 500 Willets at Shell Island, along with perhaps 1,000 other
shorebirds of various species.
The Black-hooded Parakeets which were everywhere in Pinellas County as well as
in Bradenton.

The incredible numbers and variety of herons at Ft. De Soto.

A Snail Kite hawking over a grassy wetland.

A Purple Martin!

The weather: 70-82 degrees the whole time I was there.

Daryl Christensen
Marquette co.

Daryl and/or Sherry Christensen
www.darylchristensen.com
www.marquettecountyguide.com

"There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of birds. There is
something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature - the assurance
that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter."
-Rachel Carson