[wisb] Milwaukee Lakefront, 2/7/11 - Peregrine Falcon, and a new 2011 BIGBY bird

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 15:10:55 -0800 (PST)

Walked the northern Milwaukee lakefront part of my BIGBY route yesterday
(2/7/11). A dark and breezy day.

I'd commented earlier about the wall of ice on the Lake Michigan shoreline
caused by the huge waves created by last week's blizzard. Yesterday I took a
couple of short videos in an attempt to document it. My apologies for the
occasional shakiness of the videos...it was windy (as you can hear on the
videos) and I had my gloves off, which numbed my fingers:

* http://bit.ly/hRf66p
* http://bit.ly/hCRteP

A few birding highlights:

* NO GULLS! First time that's happened here in Milwaukee. Not sure where they
went?

* I saw a Peregrine Falcon strike a pigeon near Whole Foods (Prospect and
North)! Not a new 2011 BIGBY bird, but that's the first time I've ever seen a
Peregrine take prey. Pretty cool! I also found widely scattered pigeon feathers
a half mile farther to the south in front of a condo building along Prospect
Avenue.

* Blue Jay. One bird on the wooded lake bluff. 2011 BIGBY species #52. I can't
believe it's taken me five weeks to log a Blue Jay on this list. In previous
locations I've usually seen them at feeders on January 1st.

* American Robins (12), Eastern Bluebirds (2), and Cedar Waxwings (15) in
ornamental fruit trees in parking lot just to the south of Bradford Beach.

* About 1,000 ducks off of Bradford Beach. Mostly Greater Scaups.

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee