[wisb] Re: Binoculars...8x vs. 10x...what do you like and why?

  • From: Seth Cutright <ferruginous.hawk82@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cajunbirder@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 20:17:06 -0400

Hello All,

For what it's worth:  I had the Stokes Vortex 8x42 for a while.  Then
upgraded to the 8x42 Nikon Monarch in 08.  Those work good but seemed
to lack something after a while.  Last year while hawk counting I
found I wanted something more or a little better.  So I checked out
the Eagle Optics Ranger.  I got the 10x42 SRT.

I really like them.  They give me more power to see distant raptors,
and seem clear then the Monarchs...not that the Monarchs are bad
binoculars....but these just seem like a step up from them.  Then for
the price (low to mid price range I would say.)  The other things I
like about these are, as in the description, the weight of them are
really nice....maybe even lighter then the Monarchs...holding them
feels good...field of view is good.  Then and probably a really nice
thing is that you can still close focus them ~5 feet for a 10
power...now that is great and probably equal and maybe better then
even some 8 power ones...  So I can use them for flying birds, but
still look at close small warblers and other birds...and inside 5 feet
probably don't need bins.

The only problem with them that after a year the little long-thin logo
sticker that says Eagle Optics on it fell off.... couldn't believe it
:-)

That said EO will fix problems with them if they come up.  So that is
great, and they are in the state so even easier to fix if needed.

-Seth Cutright
Derby Hill
Mexico, NY