[wisb] Barred owl

  • From: Mike Duchek <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 20:41:29 -0600

REI's winter clearance sale started Friday so I got some snowshoes and did
some snowshoeing this weekend.  Did some of the Kettle Moraine Loew Lake
segment of the Ice Age Trail on Saturday (Washington Co.).  Very quiet bird
wise (though the snowmobile trail goes right by there so I was treated to
that noise for the first half mile or so), but very nice place with big
white pine and spruce plantations.  Because the unit is segmented into
multiple tracts though the trail goes onto the road a couple times so
afterwards, around dusk, I went up Emerald Rd. to go look at the next
segment and as I was driving saw a larger bird fly by.  Looked too
intricately patterned for a hawk so I parked the car at the parking area and
got out and looked and sure enough, there was a barred owl perched up on the
other side of the road.  Unfortunately it's up on a hill about 10 feet up
behind barbed wire so I couldn't get too close, but I took a video (sort of
grainy due to using some digital zoom).  Amazing how they can turn their
heads all the way around.

Youtube video:

http://bit.ly/dM7sUi

Next to where I parked was a sign that said "road not maintained for winter
use" for the road that goes down, and then a big tow truck pulled up,
possibly for someone who had ignored the sign. with lights flashing so that
ended my owl experience, but was glad to get a nice close look at it.

Also did some snowshoeing yesterday in Kettle Moraine South, south of HWY 12
(Walworth Co.).  So windy (today too) that the birds didn't seem to be out
much save for a few woodpeckers and chickadees.  Was interesting to read
Tom's post though about the RS hawk.  Looked up their sound and now I wonder
if I heard one, hmmm...

-Mike Duchek, Waukesha, Waukesha Co.