[wisb] Avid birder needed for event in Beaver Dam Fri, May 14

  • From: Madison Audubon Society <masoffice@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: WisBirdNet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mary Kay Salwey <marykay.salwey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 13:22:56 -0500

Mary Kay Salwey contacted me about finding an avid birder to volunteer
at a youth event coming up Friday, May 14, in Beaver Dam. This would be
a great opportunity to get 4th and 5th graders excited about birds.
Please contact her directly  at marykay.salwey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - see below
for details).
Thanks!
Karen

Karen Etter Hale, Executive Secretary
Madison Audubon Society
222 S Hamilton St, Suite 1
Madison, WI 53703-3201
608/255-BIRD (2473)

/--Making Time for Birds/

***********
I'm seeking an avid birder who's willing to work at the Bird
Identification Teaching Station at the Wisconsin Outdoor Education Youth
Expo located on the Dodge County Fairgrounds (east of Beaver Dam on Hwy
33) on Friday, May 14.

Would anyone be willing to help out during the busy times (about 9 a.m.
to 2 p.m.)
on that Friday?

Bill Volkert, his naturalist assistant Liz Herzmann, and our Wildlife
Educator/Wildlife
Technician from Ladysmith, Chris Cold, will be teaching that station,
but we'd really
like another experienced birder to help out because Friday is the
busiest of the two days.

There are 2,235 kids registered on Friday (and 1,010 registered on
Thursday).

I would give a volunteer all the details, and can reimburse the person
for mileage, too.
Lunch, beverages and snacks are provided free to all workers.

I know this is a very busy time of year for birders, but this is a super
event for 4th & 5th graders. It's now in its 5th year. If anyone would
like to view a short video of the event, you can visit www.wisexpo.com
and click on "Watch Expo 2". You'll see Chris Cold handling one of his
raptors toward the end of the video.

Please let me know if anyone can help us out this year.

A picture may be worth a thousand words,
But an outdoor experience is worth a thousand pictures!
Make a difference!

Mary Kay Salwey, Ph.D.
State Wildlife Education Program Administrator
Bureau of Wildlife Management
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
phone: (608) 685-3744
e-mail: marykay.salwey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
address: Buffalo County Courthouse, Room B-3
P.O. Box 8
Alma, WI 54610