[wisb] Bird Banding Washington Park (Milwaukee)

  • From: Tim Vargo <tvargo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 13:16:33 -0500

Hello everyone,
We ran a trial run at bird-banding in Washington Park (Milwaukee) this morning.
 This type of park presents new challenges and a much different environment
than other places we band.  We also battled a line of early morning showers.

That being said, it was a fabulous morning.  We placed nets out on an island in
the lagoon and did our net runs by canoe.  Normally we have to deal with people
and dogs that can potentially run through and ruin a net.  On the island we
dealt with Canada Geese who weren't too happy that we were near their nests.

We only opened 2 nets fairly late in the morning (7:30) and only kept them open
for a couple hours, but still caught 14 birds (7 species).

Myrtle Warbler (4)
Western Palm Warbler (4)
American Robin (2)
White-breasted Nuthatch
White-throated Sparrow
Northern Waterthrush
Common Grackle

And we had a Belted Kingfisher fly within inches of one of the nets.

Timothy Vargo
Manager of Research and Citizen Science
Urban Ecology Center
1500 E Park Pl