[wisb] Adult Golden Eagle Sawyer County

  • From: Rick Pertile <mugzy1960@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 16:58:18 -0500

Today at noon I found an adult golden eagle feeding on a deer carcass on Green
Lake in Sawyer County.  Green Lake is located off of county road F and Green
Lake road just north of the town of Birchwood in washburn county.

I watched if for about 2 minutes before it got nervous and flew up towards my
vehicle and landed in a tree along the lake giving me a closer view.  The
golden nape was unmistakable on the all dark brown plumage both above and below
as it briefly sat there in the sun.  After about a minute it flew towards the
east and again landed on top of a large pine tree, again giving me some good
views with my binoculars.

I'm hoping the bird stays in the area since it not only has this food source
but 2 other deer carcasses that I was able to secure and put on my back pond
this weekend.   Today 5 different bald eagles visited the carcasses plus one of
the local red fox.  With any luck, the cold nights will keep these carcasses
relative frozen and harder to consume so they may last enough through the week
to hold the birds as well as attract new migrants passing overhead.

Rick Pertile
Edgewater, Sawyer county