[wisb] ALERT:GREAT-TAILED GRACKLE

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 09:04:20 -0500

Thanks to Andrew's post and back channel to me yesterday, I made it
over this morning to check on his large grackle that was by his place
yesterday.  As I drove up it, plus Common Grackles, were perched in
one of his trees by the street.  It subsequently flew across to the
retention pond on the west side, next to some condos.  Its large
size, fan shaped tail, plus the yellow eyes and flatter "crown",
clearly show this to be a GREAT-TAILED GRACKLE!!!  It is a male in
excellent plumage and apparently condition.  While I was there it
would feed along the edge of the pond and then perch in the trees by
Andrew's and the neighbors homes, plus fly back into the condo area.
(I did not pursue it in the latter spot.)
The location is in Darboy, south of Cty KK on Coop Rd.  Coop runs
south from KK next to the Kwik-Trip gas station.  The location is
around the third to fourth homes on the east side of the street, with
the retention pond on the west side, plus the condos, slightly to the
north.  Parking is very poor along the road, narrow shoulder.  It
might be best to park at some rental garages to the north, or at the
gas station (a bit of a walk).  When the bird is down in the pond
area it is not visible from the road, unless one walks out and looks
down into the pond.  Please try not to flush it too often.
Apparently it is not coming to any feeders (if there are some in this
area).

To get to the general area take Hwy 441 around Appleton, either from
the south off Hwy 41 or from the north, also off 41.  Watch for the
cty KK exit and go east on KK to Coop Rd (by the Kwik-Trip station).
The area the bird is hanging out is just "down the road" a relatively
short ways.

PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL OF THE NEIGHBORHOOD WHEN PARKING AND LOOKING FOR
THE BIRD!  One wonders how long it will hang around, although with
the colder weather it may remain for a while.  KK is the county line
between Calumet (south) and Outagamie (north).

Good luck!

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI