[wisb] Re: ALERT: Possible Juvenile RUFF and REEVE at 6th ave Marsh, Adams County

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 20:27:11 -0500

The photo does not show a lot of detail and I cannot determine the identity
of this shorebird, but the second photo is the best profile shot
of the bird and shows a bill that is about 1.5 times longer than the width
of the head. As Steve Lubahn noted, it has a slight upturn. Ruff should have
a bill about the same length as the width of the head and have a slight
downturn, so I think Steve has an excellent point.
Now whether we are being fooled by a photgraphic effect, or if the bird
actually looked as it appears in this photograph, is a different issue. I
believe a detailed description (or a clearer photo) by the observers will be
important to identify this shorebird.

Thomas Wood,Menomonee Falls,Waukesha County