[wisb] Yellow-crowned Night Herons, Juneau Lagoon, Milwaukee Co.

  • From: steven lubahn <stevenlubahn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn Post <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 20:23:16 -0500

Credit Tom Prestby and Nick Anich for finding one of these a few days ago. Tom
got a distant photo which presented an ID challenge and had me believing it was
a BCNH.

Tonight I paid a visit to Juneau Lagoon which is just north of the War
Memorial. It took awhile before the activity died down, there seems to be some
sort of watersports event going on here this weekend.

The first night heron I saw was a classic juv. BCNH. Then another heron flew
over and I knew right away from the dark flight feathers and long legs it was a
YCNH. It landed on a snag next to a third night heron which looks like a 1st
summer BCNH. A minute later a second YCNH flew in and landed on the same dead
tree. So, there's two Juv. YCNH and two BCNH, one Juv. one 1st summer.

I found them on the south end of the lagoon away from the activity after 7pm.

Back channel me if you want to see pictures.

Steven Lubahn
Cudahy